Awards--Dobie Darters

Hi all,

After reading all the posts on awards and BC, I have to tell you about
one of the most coveted of all awards for BC.  It ranks right up there
with the Haggin Cup--The Dobie Darter!

Rich Childs is the Ride Manager for several rides in western Colorado.
Some of his best were the rides through the "Dobies" of the Western
Slope. It was my great fortune to choose one of his rides as my earliest
endurance experience.  Rich always makes the awards special and everyone
feels that way when they receive one. Every completion is recognized.

BC is particularly special because you get a little gray stuffed critter
called a Dobie Darter--complete with instructions on its history--which
is a scream--and its care and feeding. My Dobie Darter (which probably
cost only a few dollars and a whole bunch of imagination) has center
position in the trophy case.  At the last Dobie Darter ride, my little
critter came out of its case and traveled back to Colorado with me to
say hello to his fellow DD's.  It is a big deal to have one!

Awards don't have to cost a lot of money to be special and we should
really thank those Ride Managers who put forth the effort to create
recognition for everyone's accomplishments, whatever those many be.
Such an attitude makes everyone a winner at whatever distance.  The
motto is "To Finish is to Win"; I don't remember it saying anything
about finishing 25, 50 or 100.

Thanks Rich for making this sport a pleasure for all of us.

Joane and the Herd
Price, Utah
Lyoness@Castlenet.com