Re: RC: Determining horse's weight

Hi Deanna,
You can try two different methods for the weight calculations.

Method One:  Measure around the girth in cm and measure the length from the
point of the shoulder to the point of the hip in cm

GIRTH(cm) x GIRTH(cm) x LENGTH(cm)hip
__________________
8,700
for weight in kg (divide by 2.2 for pounds)

Method Two:  Measure the girth in inches and the length from the point of
the shoulder to the roundest curve of the buttocks.

GIRTH(in) x GIRTH(in) x LENGTH(in) buttock
_________________
330
for weight in pounds

Both of these methods may be completely inaccurate on some types of horses.
They do not work well on a very leggy horse, a high-withered horse, or
pregnant mares. They also don't track weight changes too well, and not at
all for weight changes due to dehydration.  I have used these methods to
compare with actual weight on a scale.  We have been doing research on the
use of bioelectrical impedance measurements as a weight predictor, so I have
been comparing it to other methods as well.  The two methods above using
calculations (and the weight tapes) can be out more than 200 pounds on some
horses, although for most horses I was finding that a range of about 70 to
100 pounds over to about 40 or 50 pounds under was the difference for many
of them, while there were some that were only out about 20-50 pounds.  You
really have to be consistent on the measurements and things like a thick
haircoat will change your measurements on the girth enough to impact greatly
on the calculated result. When different people were doing the measurements,
we ended up with very different weights depending on how they did the
measurements.
Have fun comparing methods on your horse!
Gayle