RE: Poisonous plants

-----Original Message-----
From:	CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com [SMTP:CMKSAGEHIL@aol.com]

Sure glad to see that folks are aware of the oleander problem and trying to
get action to remove them.  The big oleander planting always baffled me,
too--they are also a plant that contributes to the CO2 problem instead of
helping--I'm not sure of the mechanism.  But seems a strange thing to plant
along smoggy highways....

Heidi

[Karen Sullivan]  I know this is wandering off topic........but want to explain a few reasons for this......One of the reasons that Oleander is used; and that organizations such as Releaf and Arbor Day Foundation give away and push the planting of non-native species is that those are  available in large quantities by the wholesale nursery industry.Unfortunately, the Nursery industry has mostly ignored our wonderful native shrubs in order to push exotic plants that are easier to propagate.

As a two-time state liscensed Native plant nursery (though very small), I came up against this time and time again.  Several years ago, the Native Plant Society tried to get a bill passed that would outlaw the propagation and sale of some very nasty, NON-NATIVE exotic pest plant species (such plants as Pampas Grass, Scotch Broom), that totally take over and displace native habitats, and provide NO wildlife benefit.  This bill was lobbied AGAINST and defeated by the California Nursery Industry, who apparently was interested more in the almighty buck than what was correct environmentally. The wholesalers grow oleander because it is easy to propagate and grows fast-they can make good money on it.

It IS a concern!!! In some areas of Southern California, Oleander is spreading in the wild.  A spin-off organization of the California Native Plant Society; CalEPPC (California Exotic Pest Plant Council) is attempting to adress the growing threat of non-native plants.

As a distance rider, I find these issues VERY important.  One of the reasons I "hit the trails", is to enjoy NATIVE flora and the widllife it supports; not ride through acres and acres of Scotch Broom.  In years past I used the horses to take me up into remote areas to collect seed and cuttings to propagate native species.

Native shrubs are far better suited to this environment; are drought resistant, often deer resistant, and are an integral part of local habitats.
Non-native exotic species (Oleander, Scotch Broom, Tamarisk, Alianthus, etc) often spread becuase they lack their own regional controls. They are often poisonous, and provide minimal wildlife habitat.
Many native plants (creeping sage), are both weed inhibitors and FIRE resistant, as opposed to Scotch Broom, which is extremely flammable.

The incredibly painful stinging nettle (at Pt.Reyes), is NOT native, along with Star Thistle. Two horses died this year as a result of contact with stinging nettle.

As endurance riders; I hope we can all be aware of these issues; be sensitive to fragile areas, and support organizations such as the California Native Plant society, that fight to preserve native habitats and flora and keep our open space as natural as possible.

I fully support trail closures into sensitive areas and during the rain/mud season.  If horseback riders don't show some awareness and cooperation to these issues, we will lose our rights to ride on public land.  And, frankly,the idea of riding through miles and miles of non-native
landscape has absolutely no appeal to me.

So, bash that broom and oleander!!

Karen (getting off soapbox and hiding)

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-