Re: RC: Liberty Run with the kid: Part DONE

> I'm actually considering going to the tent and taking a fifteen minute nap,
> when I see Jen and Rebel come in.  She's riding behind another rider named
> Barbara, a friend of Sandy's and one of the "gang."  I look at my watch and
> can't believe how fast Jen got back, even thought it was just a ten mile
> loop.  Then I do the math and realize Jen has just beaten my best total ride
> time for a 25 mile run.  And this on a silly Arab who will not pass another
> horse when I ride him.  Barbara tells me that Sandy didn't want to go that
> fast, but Rebel did, so she took Jen with her.

Jen was officially sponsored by Sandy, but left Sandy on the 2nd loop to
ride faster and finish with Barbara instead.  Isn't there a rule about
juniors staying with sponsors? Completion times within one minute of one
another?  Isn't that the whole purpose of sponsorship -- that there is one
adult responsible for this child, who will be right with this child
throughout the ride?  How did this happen?

> What has happened here today?  Is it just me?  Does the guy have any kids?

What does the fatherhood status of the vet have to do with his ability to
judge the physical condition of a horse??

> mean I'm talking about a 25 mile limited distance completion for a ten year
> old girl.  Her horse is done anyhow, not going out on the trail
> again........I just don't get it.

That's the whole point of endurance riding, though.  To Finish is To Win,
but only if your horse is judged "fit to continue" at the end.  If the vet
had given a completion to a lame horse, it would have detracted from the
value of every other completion given at that ride, and it would have
skewed the statistics of all AERC rides.

Sorry, Howard, I love reading your ride stories, but I think you're
setting a bad example here. :(  If I've misunderstood something, please do
explain.

Glenda & Lakota
Mobile, AL
AERC # M18819 & H27310