Re: RC:LD & kids competing etc.

    I'm not going to say much about LD.  The only thing I will say about it,
is that it is a good stepping stone to get a feel and education on and about
endurance riding.  Some people really don't think that they can ride 50
miles.  Most of what I hear is, "Maybe my horse will make it but I don't
think I could."  So LD sounds less challenging and after a few of these, most
of the people that told me 50 is to far, try the 50 later.
    With kids competing is another story.  I do a lot of 1st time adults &
kids escorting on their first rides.  I also sponsor a lot of kids.  I do
make them listen, to the vet at checks and I'll even ask them later, "What
are your scores and what do you think it means."  They do almost all of their
own cleaning, tacking, (unless they are real short), etc.  Anyway, what I
saying is, we treat it as an education experience all the way, from loading
to go, to returning to back to the ranch.  My clients work hard to get to
that day and after care can be up to 2 days or even a week.
    The main problem I have is non recognition of first time riders and
Juniors.  In Aug. we had 9 riders, 4 were new riders, 3 juniors.  All of them
completed except 1 jr. rider.  After the ride, we got ready to go to the
award banquet.  It was posted in our ride packet as starting at 6:00pm.  When
we got across to the area (all happy and such!) we found that since most
riders wanted to go home early, that they had the banquet at 4:00pm.  I can't
tell you how let down we were!   No Awards!
    Later, this last race, I had a 9 yr. jr. rider.  First timer.  She did
the 50 on her sisters horse.  She was a real trooper, never complained,
always took care of her horse.  Three weeks before she did conditioning (not
that her horse needed much, but we didn't let her know that).  The weekend
before we rode 26 miles in very hot weather and she did great.  She and her
horse completed the 50 with great scores and when we went to the banquet
well, if you want to call it that, there was one, and they read the names off
so fast that you had the feeling that we were all taking up to much Ride
Management time.  It breaks my heart that there is so little hoopla to award
times.  No, you don't need to do it for the award but for new riders and
junior riders, it does mean something.  A little recognition, while may be
Mom & Dad can smile and clap for their efforts would be nice.
    I feel not enough is done for the 1st time completers and mostly the jr.
riders.  If we want encourage children to stay in this sport, maybe we should
make it a little more rewarding.
    I for one, am sick of cheap non rewarding banquets!
Tammy