LD, kids competing etc.

Jonni jonnij@earthlink.net
OK, I tried to get re-subscribed tonight but it won't take. So, I have to do this as a "guest". Sorry.....Have a few thoughts on the LD thing, and kids competing. Lets start with the kid part first.

Children are the future of this sport (or any horse sport we participate in). I think that kids need to learn all aspects of the sport from the basics up. I have seen the kids who show Hunter/Jumpers at big show barns. They arrive at the show, the horse is groomed, tacked, and prepped by someone else. When the horse is ready, the trainer will school it some, then put the child on the horse. They go in the ring, perform, come out, and hand the horse back to the groom so they can go about their business. These kids are not learning a thing about what it takes to really compete. Mommy & daddy pay the money for the expensive horse. If it does not get them the ribbons they expect to receive, the horse is sold, and another is bought. When some of these kids do not place well in the show ring they will take it out on the horse as they leave the arena. Now, do you think these kids are having FUN? When they win first place I bet its fun, but is it just as much fun when they don't place at all? We need to show kids in distance trail riding that it is fun to go out and ride a horse all day. Enjoy the scenery...enjoy the company of other trail riders along the trail. Meet new friends. teach them what it takes to care for the horse both before the ride in training, feeding, tack fit etc. Then at the ride, have them do the chores they are able to do. They should care for their horse. Listen to the vet when the horse is checked in , and understand the marks on the vet card. Have them not be afraid to ask questions of the vets if they do not understand something. Vets usually will take the time with the kids to explain to them what they are doing, as they too know these young riders are the future to the sport. Now, on to some limited distance thoughts. With children, this is a great place to start out. See if they are really ready to spend hours on a horse along a trail they may have never been on before. These rides are perfect for them to learn to pace their horse, and care for it along the way. I also think having a young rider take the maximum time allowed on a LD ride will show the parent or sponsor if the child can really deal with being out on the trail for longer periods of time.(and if they are ready to move up to a longer distance)  It is much easier on most riders to finish a LD in a few hours that six. I used to feel better after a 50 if I went faster, than spending all day to finish. (remember, to FINISH is to win) I am really against order of finish placings on LD rides. I think this can encourage many new to the sport to push horses faster than they may be ready to go. Any pleasure rider, that trail rides on a regular basis can finish many of the LD rides. It is common for local riders to an up coming ride in their area decide they can take Ol Dobber out there and do that ride. Heck they ride the hills and trails every Sunday. How tough can it be? These are the ones I most often see pushing too fast to try to "beat" someone they know to the finish line. (or the ones I have seen bragging that their Quarter Horse placed better than some of those riders on the A-Rabs)  Some of these horses are fairly well conditioned, others just squeak through the vet checks. Of course we do not get to see how these horses look later that night when they get them home. I think the LD program is a good one. Some riders find this the perfect distance for them to ride in a day. They can gather miles, best condition awards etc. I just think focusing on the order of finish is not in the best interest of the sport. Just a few of my thoughts. Lets focus on developing young riders that have just as good of a time if they finish last, as first.

Jonni in So. Calif.
"If you and your horse are not having FUN, maybe you need to try a new sport" This is your recreation folks. Not many can make a living at it. Enjoy the trails!

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-