Update on Dorika's sesamoid

Well, we had a check-up the other day and had an American farrier (thank you
Sara Hayden) come to check the angles on Dorika's feet so as not to have too
much stress.  The word at this point is that she's got about 2 1/2 weeks
left on her box rest, a month of hand walking on the grass, and then walking
under saddle on the grass for a month or two.  Hopefully, by then I can take
another set of xrays to see if we are getting calcification. I'm willing to
be patient if it gives me back a sound mare.
It has been a very rough couple of weeks and my reaction to the problem was
mostly a massive depression. I feel like I'm crawling out from under the
rock now, thank goodness.

Had another visit from Jack and Sara today to show our farrier how to trim
the colts' feet properly. Most people here pay LE 20 for a complete shoeing
job (that's about $5.50) so not too many are willing to fork out US prices
for a trim or a shoeing. My buddy Babsi and I both did because we have two
young farriers who will never be able to go to a school to learn the job
properly, but who are eager to learn. So we each had all our horses feet
trimmed by Sara specifically so that Omar and Amr could watch and learn.
Babsi had her Irish hunter's soup plates done, and I had my two year old and
8 month old colt's done. The boys also watched Sara trim Dorika's feet and
learned how to stretch the 8 month old's tendons....he's growing really fast
and we don't want any problems. Wish we could get more people to come and
teach like that.

Meanwhile everyone here is waiting to find out the passenger list on the
Egyptair flight.  That's essentially a commuter flight for a lot of
businessmen here. Hoping no one I know was on it.

Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
Cairo, Egypt
gabbani@starnet.com.eg