Trotting in Hand

I certainly agree with the posts I've seen that body language is crucial to
helping your horse understand what you want, and not only for trotting :-)

My wonderful friend, Apache Dell (Appaloosa, deceased :-( ), became so
wonderfully attuned to my body language that my smallest movement was noted
by him and responded to (sometimes when I intended nothing), both on the
ground and in the saddle.

I miss him so much. It's true, the good die young.

My new horse, Last Chance Comet, is only 5, but he's already picking up on
my mannerisms and is tuning in to my mood and acknowledging me as leader in
our herd of two. I was very proud of him the other day when I was visiting
him the field (just visiting, he had no halter on). One of the other horses
got too close approaching from Comet's rear, and Comet whirled around and
bared his teeth at the intruder. What pleased me was that as he wheeled
around, he carefully scooted his rear under him so he wouldn't hit me as he
turned.

In my experience with Apache and Comet, when we first started working
together, neither had respect for me, and wouldn't hesitate to jump on me
when startled, etc. When we got better acquainted and they learned to
respect me (and perhaps even like me), they became very careful about my
person.

Apache and I were together 10 years, so Comet and I are nowhere near as
sympatico (just a few months together), but Comet is a good horse,
intelligent and willing, so I believe we will get there, in time.

This is a little lengthy, isn't it? Ah well, I'll risk the flames this time.

T'Lara J. Freedom
MILLER THOMSON
Calgary, AB
Canada