Adequan for Tendon Sheaths Recap

Hi all,

Reporting back here on a question I posted a couple
months back... as you might recall, Blue (the Arab)
managed to twist his right rear back in August and
we had some swelling in the tendon sheath.  The
ultrasound vet suggested I treat him with 4 Adequan IM
injections a week appart in addition to the other
treatment we had him on.  Because Adequan isn't
cheap... even if you give it yourself... I asked
if anyone else had any experience with using Adequan
for tendon sheath injuries.  Thanks for all your
replies if I missed getting back to you personally.

What I found was, as suspected, Blue and my checkbook
were definately guinea pigs.  HOWEVER, as my husband
kindly pointed out, it's only money.  So why would I
not just give the injections?  Magnum gets them... yeah,
but Magnum has an excuse!

We had our follow up ultrasound yesterday at 8 weeks.
Blue's doing great.  I did give him the Adequan injections
and my impression is they did help reduce inflamation
and return the sheath to as normal as possible.  One of
the things I found out was that the tendon and sheath
also contain fluid similar to the fluid found in joints
which help the tendon move friction free through the
tendon sheath.  So there was a point to the injections.

The puffyness went away right after I started the injections,
but I was also icing and cold hosing, giving him bute and
MSM, and he was on total rest... all things which are
intended to reduce inflamation... so there is no correlation
to just the Adequan.  Since there are no side affects
(Adequan IM has been around since 1984) there was no
down side to giving the injections in Blue's case except
perhaps the cost.  If you can give the injections yourself
with a perscription from your vet the cost can usually be
significantly reduced.

Anyways, I hope this helps.  Blue and I are cleared to go.
We are planning on taking it easy this winter and not starting
back to real conditioning until next spring.  See you on
the trails!

:) - Kat Myers
in No. Cal. with Magnum the TB ex-racer
and Mr Maajistic... resident Endurance Arab/Weasel