Re: Riding in the dark/Red Lights

Kerstin Leuther kleuther@jps.net
Recently, I have been using a red LED light ("NightRider") that is
attached to my horse's breast collar (by a velcro patch). This LED
light emits red light which is quite bright (brighter than green
glow bars) and definitely preserves night vision. The light itself
is waterproof, so you can sponge, cross water etc. while the light
is attached and turned on.
	I used this light all last winter, when I rode in the dark
after work (...too soon I'll be doing that again....loss of daylight
savings time). The batteries (2 AA batteries) run this light for
at least 24 hours.
	Most recently, I used this light during the Swanton Pacific 100
mile ride, and it worked great. My horse seemed very comfortable with
it as well. He spooks at the shadows created by regular flashlights,
but we were able to rely solely on the LED light on his breast collar.

	For more technical information on these LED lights, you can e-mail
my husband (also a horse person), who mmanufactures these lights:
Peter David, rider@lama.stanford.edu

Kerstin

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-