Re: horse country

"I never lived in Colorado, so cant giva any advice there."

That would be my cue.  For the record, we locals are opposed to newcomers,
but IMO everyone who came after the Navajo were pushed out has screwed
things up (subdividing and putting up those damn fences!).  So I might as
well advertise what a great place SW Colorado is to you people, who I would
probably appreciate as neighbors.  We have the mild temps of NM, and we have
big mountains and wilderness very close by (15 miles to a big mountain
range).  We have the desert of NM close by for winter riding when it's wet
here (I can get to good sandy rides in NM in 25 minutes).  And for spring
and fall, you can't beat camping in the Utah desert.  I'm dying to get over
there with my horses now that I finally have my own rig.  Around my house
are hundreds of miles of deserted back roads going to oil wells, just
waiting to be explored.  I can just ride off from my house, and the locals
are generally very nice to horseback riders.  Well, if you happen to get
caught on Ute or Navajo land checking out the oil wells, the country is so
open here you can just high-tail it off on a deer trail through the brush
and pinion and forget using the roads (and the police chasing you) ;-).  I
think I failed a political correctness test, but you get the picture.

Oh, and note that you can easily ride back roads to the sandy NM trails or
the big mountains 15 miles away.  It's great!

Michelle Rowe - http://www.redwrench.com - Colorado