Re: 25's v 50s

Betty,
I can see the wisdom of that because I remember from when I rode Suni that
there is a LOT to think about.  However, Suni would NEVER have been fooled
into imagining we were alone if 50-80 horses had galloped off ten minutes or
even an hour before.  Fox, I don't know, he's very different in a lot of
ways, but I had thought that if I rode with other horses he might not care
as much that the main group was ahead.  With Suni, he bonded to the horse in
front until he passed him and noticed there was someone else.  It was easy
to ride Sun alone because he just concentrated on moving up.

With Suni, I used to train with another woman and we would practice flying
by each other (leap frog style) at a fast trot to try to get the horses used
to being passed and to still pay attention to us.  Suni calmed down for the
training but none of that meant anything at all to him at a ride.  And Sun
was the kind of horse that in a training ride, if he were tired or bored or
hungry or whatever, would happily turn away from a group of galloping horses
and go home.

I don't know, maybe that fighting your horse for the first ten to fifteen
miles is unavoidable.  What do you think?

As far as hauling and camping alone--that I'm sure is a good idea.  I've had
bad experiences trying to keep my mind on what I had to do and socialize at
the same time.
Dyane
N. CA