Wild West Ride-Big THANK YOU-long

Patty J jbco@jps.net
I want to thank everyone at the Wild West ride that helped with
my horse, Mia Rabbia.  She developed a bad case of colic during
the 25 mile ride. I wish I could have gotten the names of
everyone involved.  At the time I was so stressed out over the
situation that I realized later that I did not thank all the
vet students who stayed with me while I waited for the vet.
Dr. Ribley was extremely helpful, and really had her hands full
trying to deal with a vet check and a colicked horse at once.

Rabbia is currently hospitalized and on I.V. fluids.  I am
waiting to hear if surgery is needed or not.  As of 9 p.m. last
night the pain seemed to be under control and she was standing
quietly.

At this point, it is thought that Rabbia may have been headed
for trouble before the ride even began.  I remember an
excellent lecture given by Dr. Loving at the horse expo on
getting to know your horse.  The night before the ride, my horse
ate her oat hay well, but not her alfalfa.  This did raise a
question in my mind, but I told myself not to worry about it. I
tend to worry about everything, and this time I told myself
"don't be silly, she's fine".  Stupid me.  She scarfed down the
small bran mash and several carrots I gave her a few hours
before the ride, so I figured all is well.

After a very thorough warm up, I started the ride and rode the
first 5-7 miles at a pretty good pace.  After that I decided to
slow down, after all, its NOT a race.  Mile 8 Rabbia tripped and
fell to her knees at a slow trot.  She bloodied her knees bad
enough that I decided to walk the last 3 miles and pull at the
vet check.  By the time I got to the check, she had a bad case
of colic.  Dr. Ribley injected my horse several times, but the
pain kept returning.

I am now waiting to find out if Rabbia has an enterolith, or a
twisted gut, or the many other things that can go wrong with a
horse's insides.  She may even need surgery.

This is definitely my very worst nightmare coming true.

Patty Jackson

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-