Re: RC: Buying a horse/Warning

Sylvia wrote:

"The way I've done it and seen it done normally (I'm not a pro, however)
is
you agree that you want the horse, you (buyer) arranges for the vet of
your
choice to vet check the horse.  It is agreed upon beforehand that if the
horse PASSES the vet check, buyer pays for the vetcheck.  If he FAILS,
seller
pays.  Buyer states very clearly that he is buying the horse based on a
"passing" vet check.  Is this an unusual way to do it?  I pretty much
thought
this was a standard practice."

I looked at an Alada Baskin daughter in NY.  The deal I reached with the
seller was that if the mare passed the vet check, I would buy the mare.
If she didn't, I wouldn't.  In either event, I was paying for the vet
check because *I* wanted the vet check and the seller wasn't selling the
horse with any kind of guarantee as to the vet check.  The mare didn't
pass the check on the item I was concerned about, I didn't buy her, and I
still paid the vet.  Because the seller and I had a *set agreement* (even
though no money had changed hands), I would have been upset if she sold
the horse between the time the vet check and I received the vet check
results.  If we hadn't discussed that point AND received an agreement, I
might have been upset if the horse was sold but I'd know that I was
pretty much scr*w*d from a legal standpoint.

On the other hand, I'm looking at a mare locally and the seller is
selling her with the vet check included.  I was told it was standard for
the potential buyer to pay for the vet check regardless of the results,
absent an agreement to the contrary.

Rhonda