RE: Snaffle vs. Kimberwicke

> The reason I say that my trainer won't like it is because she insists
> that everything can be done in a snaffle. I'm willing to concede that I
> don't have the skill to be responsive enough and lighten up on her with
> the snaffle when I need to, but that's because she was hauling me around
> by her mouth in it. With the kimberwicke, I'm using very light hands and
> getting terrific response. I gotta believe it's more pleasant for the
> filly to not be fighting me.
>
> Any thoughts? The next time the trainer comes, how do I convince her to
> let me train under her with the kimberwicke? Can I switch back to the
> snaffle and expect that she'll still be soft or will the battles be the
> same or worse?

Our horses here work in a French link snaffle in the arena (during their
dressage sessions) but start out their rides on the trail in a Kimberwicke.
 After a few miles, we remove the bit and ride them in their sidepulls.
They all work fine with this combo!  We start rides in a Kimberwicke since
they sometimes need a little extra control at the start (or just the
knowledge that the extra control is present, even if not used)...and they
are rewarded with just the sidepull later if they are staying under
control.  (The snaffle has no brakes and even the best rider may need some
additional elements of control if they're dealing with a very rambunctious
horse.)

And, if they're being ridden correctly, they will maintain their correct
body movements (bending, self carriage, using their back, etc.) no matter
which bit/sidepull is being used.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm