Re: RC: Bears in TN? A Ride Story from the Past

>In the mid-eighties, I was asked to take a part-bred gelding named Bo
>on his first 100 miler.  An IAHA ride on the edge o=
>f the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee.

Hi Sally.

Are you sure that wasn't Oct. 1987?  If it was, and in Tellico Plains,
that was my first Endurance ride!  The drunks at that creek crossing were
so notorious that when I was ride manager a year later, I requested that
the town of Tellico loan us an officer during the ride...but it turned
out they only had two officers and we hated to ask for half the police
force. >g<

Sometimes the drunks  just stood around shooting guns.  Once a pack of
them got between our vet and his truck...and people ask me, "Why don't
you manage that ride any more?" Ha.

While planning the ride, I tried to find a route to cut some gravel off
the trail.  I stopped and talked to an old local man and asked if there
were any trails across the mountain side.  He said, "When I was a kid I
walked all over these mountains, but I wouldn't dare now, them drug
growers'll kill me.  When I looked alarmed he said, "Oh they won't bother
ya'll, they know ya'll come and then go ever year, but if I was to go
back thar they'd shoot me."  Soo, needless to say, we kept the gravel.
Like I've said before.  The animal I'm scared of is human!  By the way,
more than one rider saw black bears on that ride.

Angie

>Hi Ridecampers,
>I=92ve been reading and enjoying the postings on riding in the dark,
>encountering wildlife (human and otherwise), and rid=
>e stories.  They gave me flashbacks and inspired me to contribute my
>own 100 miler story which encompasses (believe it or=
> not) all of the above.  To introduce myself, I=92m probably best
>described as a Re-Newbie.  I completed aprx 3000 miles =
>between 1982 and 1992.  Took a few years off, and just renewed my AERC
>membership this year. I=92ve discovered and enjoye=
>d Ridecamp as a great source of info and updates on what=92s new.....
>thanks to all of you who aren=92t as shy as I was a=
>bout posting.

Can=92t really remember the exact