Lay-off between two seasons

I'm new in endurance sport and this year was first one we tryed conditioning some horse for longer distances. We slowly conditioned our horse (9 yrs. gelding, standardbred) 9 months and he is ready for 25-40 miles now.
But there will be no more competitions in our country this year. The next competition is in the end of May.
So what we can do during this time: when stop conditioning, how long lay-off, when and how start conditioning again?
We plan doing some 25's and 40's (and may be 50 in the end of summer) next year.
                                                                          Eva

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-