IMPORTANT! "NO HORSES" say hikers in PA

I received a postcard requesting me to write to ask Pennsylvania DCNR
Secretary to ask for essentially NO HORSES PERMITTED rules on state forest
trails and National Scenic Trails that currently allow it, which lists names
of trails.  Did anyone else get it?   Do you want the wording?

In Valley Forge National Historic Park a couple weeks ago, a member of a
prominent hiking organization yelled at me, "No manure on the trails!", even
though my horse had not pooped for a while, but my Arabian's tail is carried
gaily almost all the time.  This guy had just gone past an old pile *on* the
trail, and I suppose he was angry.  He turned and followed us for a while.
Do you get off and disperse your horses' turds on a densely-used trail?  I
try to pull over if I know it's happening, and in the future I'll try to
kick others' turds off even the trailside too, if that's what it takes to
keep using trails in that particular Park.   Since last year, the hiking
groups have started to build water bars on that particular mountain.

How do you feel about these things?  Will you do something about them?
Do you join in on any trail work on public trails?

Making enemies or getting depressed about it is not useful!  Positive
action, education, cooperation, and persistance are more effective in
reversing this harmful trend of losing equestrian trails.  Write to

John Oliver, Secretary, D.C.N.R
P.O. Box 8767
Harrisburg, PA 17105-8767

tell him that the so-called "positive posting" (if your mode of travel isn't
listed, then you can't use the trail) is inappropriate and confusing because
of your good relations and privileges with private property owners near your
public trails that do not post, and any other reasons you may want to
mention.  Tell him how *why* you and your family enjoy riding in the state
forests.  Be very positive.  Do it now!

Bridget
Jeff and Bridget Brickson