Dawson Forest Horse Trails

Suzanne Solis gaendurance@mindspring.com
I have had requests for more information concerning the Public meeting about Horse trails in Dawson Forest in Georgia.

I am currently trying to find the facts.

I am currently trying to track down all the details, but this is what I know so far...

The Atlanta track of the Forest consists of about 10,000 acres. There are a couple of other tracks but horses are not allowed on them.
The track is owned by the City of Atlanta Airport Authority, (at one time they bought it to possibly develope an Airport there).
Previously it was owned by the government and at one time years ago had some kind of nuclear reactor or research operation going on there but I am not sure what.
The City of Atlanta leases the track to the DNR for wildlife management (hunting and fishing).

I believe that NATRC and a woman named Pam Spencer were instrumental in developing the trail system that is there.

The City of Atlanta had requested that someone be hired to manage and develope the horse trail system. This person is hired by the DNR but only can budget 40% of his time on the trail system.

They are planning to re-route some of the trails and also to rest other trails. It seems that they have very little funds and not a lot of time.
They are also trying to find funds and are thinking about some kind of trail fees.
Also, they have some problems with kids and drunks 4- wheeling around at night are are thinking of putting in a gate that will be locked at night.

All this will be open for discussion via public meeting on Tuesday, October 26th, 1999 at the Dawson County Senior Citizens Center (Adjacent to recreation complex on Hwy. 9 east of Dawsonville)

Some of the trails are in bad shape, there are no water bars anywhere and where the earth is unstable and steep the trail becomes a natural channel for the rain and then becomes a gully. In cases such as this I do not think that just resting (or closing) the trail will help unless maintenance also be done to divert the rain water and stabilize the earth so that the trail can recover. This will take a good bit of labor and time.

Here are some names and addresses to write or call to voice your concern over eliminateing the horse trails in Dawson Forest.

DAWSON FOREST MEETING INFO
NAMES AND NUMBERS

Mark Taylor, Lt. Governor
240 State Capitol Bldg