re: to feed or not to feed in the trailer

It probably, to some extent comes down to the type of trailer you
have. There is always the posibility of a freak occurence of
'choking', even if not trailering.  If your trailer allows the horse
enough freedom to raise, lower and swing it's head to as to dislodge
any blockage that may occur in a normal way, it's probably less likely
that problems may occur.

The way I undertand it, it's harder for horses to choke in the manner
that we do since they don't breathe through their mouths. So 'choke'
in this case implies a blockage either of their gullet or exactly
where their air and food passages cross. So conjecture may have it
that a sudden bump or lack of freedom of movement may cause them to
attempt to swallow a chunk too soon and increase the chances of a
blockage. So perhaps feeding stuff that is less likely to ball up may
help reduce this risk. My thoughts, not some medically proven fact.

Having said that, I always feed in my trailer, usually bermuda,
sometimes fine alfafa, but don't tell that to Susan G! The horses have
plenty of room to move their heads in our trailer.

---Wes  and Pam Combs <wpcombs@kih.net> wrote:

> I, too, am a "lurker", and have been following the trailer thread
closely.  My question is:  do you feed while moving?  I used to all
the time, until I had a friend tell me that her vet told her that it
is not a good idea.  If you hit a bump (or brake) at just the right
time, the feed can "go down the wrong way" and choke the horse without
you knowing it until you reach your destination.  At the risk of the
horses getting bored - no more feed while moving!

==
http://freeweb.socal.wanet.com/hlurphy/
Nicco Murphy - Poway, San Diego, CA