horses & dumb things

Since we have been sharing the dumb things that happen with horses, I thought
I would share this.  Within 1 month last summer I had the following happen:

1)	Got kicked in the thigh by a boarders horse, really nasty bruise

2)	Got nailed by my nephews pony because I let my horse get to close to the
butt end

3)	Had half my arm ripped off because my problem loader pulled back and I
didn't let go fast enough and he caught my arm in between the feed divider.

Accident #2 almost put me out of work for a week, because my leg swelled up so
bad.  My Dr., a 3 day eventer, told me it wasn't a good idea to ride.  Needed
to keep that leg elevated.  Did I listen, absolutely not.  When push came to
shove and the infection was so bad, he gave the same advice, no actually
demanded I didn't ride and stated I was absolutely not to drive 3 hrs to a
competition, and yes the leg did hurt like he** (I made my sister drive).
Wanted me home from work, the whole 9 yards.  Since I had a ride coming up, I
convinced him that it was in the best interest of me and my horse to allow me
to ride.  He suggested putting vet-wrap around the bandage that he had put on
to draw out the infection.  Worked like a charm, kept the bandage on for about
3 hours.

When I went back in the next Monday, he looked and laughed and said he would
probably do the same thing.  Taught me how to put this particular bandage on
and said enjoy the riding and keep the leg elevated as much as possible and
gave me extra bandages so I could replace them as the riding tore them off.  I
still have the scar on my shin and my nephew learned that when a horse starts
kicking, you start kicking to move it out.

If you can find a Dr. that is also a horse enthusiasts, the better off you
are.  You know you have found them when they look at the kick on your shin and
ask if the horse was barefoot or shod?  Now that is my kinda doctor.

After this month of episodes, my boss is convinced that horses are the most
dangerous creatures on earth.  He still doesn't understand my fascination and
love with this animal that cause such pain.  He has forgotten that nothing bad
has happened to me in the last 6 months and it had been a good 8 months
previously, since the last 'accident.'

Let us not forget that these are animals and as such, they are unpredictable.
If you spend enough time with them, you are bound to get hurt eventually.

Diane & Phoenix (I'm an animal???)