Trails Issue in Va #2

Attention Trail Riders - We need your help in Virginia on this one.

There is currently a bill before the Virginia General Assembly
requesting the Department of Conservation and Recreation to study the
feasibility of creating a horse trail between the Virginia Equine Center
in Lexington and the Homestead Hotel.  For those of you who are not
familiar with our state this is a gorgeous section of the Blue Ridge
Mountains.  The Homestead Resort is the location for several competitive
rides during the year.  The Equine Center is our premier state show
grounds - a superb facility.  The prospects of having a trail between
these two sites is something that is very attractive to us because it
will open the Equine Center up as a site for events that require trail
access, including endurance and other competitive trail events.  It will
also make this a very attactive mid-point layover for trailriders who
are traveling I-81 through Va. on the way to the Old Dominion or to the
Mt. Rogers Trails.  I cannot guess the mileage right now but I would
venture to say that it would have be at least 20 miles depending on how
can be routed.  This trail would then connect up with another group of
trails in the Homestead's exquisite trail system.

The proposal states "The study shall include a review of potential
routes, landowner issues, potential uses of utility rights-of-ways,
recreational opportunities, maintenance and facility needs, and local
support."

We would like to ask you to show your support for this feasibility study
by writing to the sponsor of the bill:  Delegate R. Creigh Deeds (D) -
House District 18 , General Assembly Building, Room 808  Capitol Square,
Richmond, Virginia 23219.  (804) 698-1018,

Send email to: del_Deeds@House.state.va.us.    Just a bried statement
supporting this bill is all that is necessary.

Thank your for your support.
Sally Aungier
Virginia Horse Council Trails Committee

HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. 525
Offered January 13, 1999
Requesting the Department of Conservation and Recreation to study the
feasibility of creating a horse trail between the Virginia Equine Center
in Lexington and the Homestead Hotel.

Patrons-- Deeds; Senator: Trumbo
Referred to Committee on Rules

WHEREAS, the popularity of horse trail riding is growing significantly
bringing tourist dollars to areas that support riding activities and
additional business for establishments such as farriers and feed stores;
and

WHEREAS, there are a number of potential trail routes through valleys
and parks and along mountain ridges between the Virginia Equine Center
in Lexington and the Homestead Hotel in Bath County which would provide
for exceptional trail riding experiences; and

WHEREAS, such a trail would provide numerous opportunities for
recreational activities including overnight camping trips and day trips
and local community volunteer support for trail upkeep; and

WHEREAS, the routes include public and private lands and lands in
utility rights-of-way; and

WHEREAS, a thorough analysis of the potential routes, land owner issues,
recreational opportunities, maintenance and facility needs, and local
support is needed before a route may be selected for such an equestrian
trail; now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED by the House of Delegates, the Senate concurring, That the
Department of Conservation and Recreation be requested to study the
feasibility of creating a horse trail between the Virginia Equine Center
in Lexington and the Homestead Hotel. The study shall include a review
of potential routes, land owner issues, potential uses of utility
rights-of-ways, recreational opportunities, maintenance and facility
needs, and local support.

All agencies of the Commonwealth shall provide assistance to the
Department of Conservation and Recreation for this study, upon request.

The Department of Conservation and Recreation shall complete its work in
time to submit its findings and recommendations to the Governor and the
2000 Session of the General Assembly as provided in the procedures of
the Division of Legislative Automated Systems for the processing of
legislative documents.

01/13/99 House: Referred to Committee on Rules