probiotics

Dear Ridecamp,

I am looking for advice for the proper way to use probiotics.  When my
coming two year old colicked a few weeks ago, someone whose opinion I
value, but who is not an expert in this field, advised that I keep all
my horses on probiotic powder, and they would never colick.  So I got
some, took me three days to open that bucket, and started to feed it.
The second day, my oldest mare colicked.  Now I am not sure there is a
connection here, but it has me thinking.  Is it a good idea to feed it
on a regular basis, or not?  Please advise!

Many thanks,

Anna in New Mexico - snowing today - wish I were riding!