Re: 5 yr. olds

>I would appreciate data from those of you who have riden 5 yr. olds in
>25 mile rides. Granted your horse was conditioned >properly and riden
>slowly, were there any ill effects from being >riden 'long' distances
>at a young age.

Hi,
I got Kaboot as a very green 4 year old in March. He'd basically learned
to have someone sit on his back.  He turned 5 in May.

He did his first 50 in September.  He never did a 25 except in training
rides. He did three 50's that fall.  He now has around 1400 miles.  The
only time he ever had any problem was when I did a rediculously deep
sandy ride.  He hadn't trained for that and he stressed a tendon sheath.
He's 9 now.

Angie

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]