endurance & introduction (real long)

As a follow-up to my post yesterday.....thankyou, thankyou, thankyou
to all who sent stories, well wishes, words of encouragement and
questions.  I was so thrilled I did something and my computer locked
up and I had to re-boot, so I lost _all_ of your messages and
addresses. ( I'm going to have to learn to contain my excitement....if
I ever do get to a *real* ride, I'll have to take a paper bag to
breathe into to stop myself from hyperventilating <g> while mounted
on a hot horse!)

I will answer some of the questions and give a little more
information.  I gave the abbreviated version yesterday and will try
to round things out a little more today.

Shoeing:  The short leg has been elevated with a shim.  The vet
said to do this for 3-4 shoeings....she's due for her 4th shoeing Feb.
9th.  She became very sore initally, but seemed to adjust.   The vet
(who also did the chiropractic work along
her spine) said the pad would be necessary for only 3-4 shoeings,
then we could discontinue them.  This contradicts the Equus article
and what some of you have done for your horses.  My farrier has put
full pads on both fronts, elevating the short leg with a shim.
Hilary is now sore on her fronts after having her winter shoes, plus
pad put on....I have another farrier coming out to see her Feb. 9th.
(he's busy & hard to get).

Massage:  Yes, Marshall Gray (a little name dropping allowed?) and
Anna Monds both have had their hands on Hilary from the first time I
realized her back was sore (about 3 yrs ago).  I still do the basic stuff
they showed me and Marshall checked her again this Dec when she was
home for Xmas and Hilary was sore in neck and shoulders (just after
having winter shoes put on)

Saddle Fit:  Yep, Marshall guided me through the saddle fitting
trama and I ended up with a very wide Whitman English all-purpose
that I had re-stuffed (2x since owning it) to fit Hilary's back and
over-developed right shoulder.  This is my primary saddle, but I also
use a Whitman dressage for our lessons, and a Simco western for some
of our trail rides.

Lessons & Training:  Dressage lessons on Hilary, and the first winter
I was recovering from the shoulder surgery, I had Hilary in training
with Chris Joost at Puckerbrush.  We were making good progress.  (As
an aside, we boarded at Chris'  which is basically a
dressage/eventing barn.  Hilary was the only Arab in the barn and
stands a mere 14.2.  I was the only rider there who was interested in
endurance riding.  We all got along fine   : )

My 35 year old shoulders:  Would the gal who asked for details get in
touch with me again and I'll tell her *all*.  Too much to cover in
this post.

Why did I wait so long to post:  Just shy ; )   Also, I've been
making like a sponge and sopping up all the wisdom.  I don't have a
computer at home (can't afford one; I wonder why???) so my *personal
computer time*  at work is somewhat limited.  You guys are so good, I
found if I did have a question, all I'd have to do is wait and
eventually someone would ask the same question!  Some things I had
already experienced (some things I actually did right, too...)

Although Hilary has not been ridden since Sept. 2nd, I have had a
couple of horses available for me to ride (I am very fortunate to
have good friends with extra horses)

Someone suggested I might offer my services to a ride
manager....well, I'm ahead of you there  : )  At our ride club's
awards banquet (for mileage) last Dec., I was elected Secretary of
the club and my very first proposal as an elected officer was to
propose that our club hold a sanctioned ride.  (Our club does have
experienced endurance & competetive riders....they use our 10-15 mile rides for
conditioning....Hilary & I ride with them).  The club was enthused,
seems like we have enough volunteers, and our first committee meeting is
this Sat.!!  I plan on working the ride, not riding the ride, but I
am so excited (must watch that!!) our club will have the first
sanctioned ride ever in this part of Maine!!  Anyone wanna come?
I have my ridecamp bandana!

Judy &
Hilary....both gettin in the groove
"That's it, Mom, what did I tell you.....attitude, attitude."