baby's crashing through fences

From: Linda-Cathrine Layman
Email: slypner@juno.com

I just got an 18 month old sweepstakes gelding, who has been confined to small spaces (with both hot wires and board fences) until this last Saturday when I got him and moved him to a friend's 4 acre pasture.

Sunday he went through a three wire hot fence (scared him so much he wouldn't go back through the hole he made) and last night he went through a three board fence. Luckily it was made correctly and the boards just popped off. He's sore and stiff, but no lasting harm was done. There were significant skid marks that hinted to the fact he tried to stop himself and couldn't. I think in the small spaces he used to be in, he could never get up to speed. Now that he's up to top speed, he can't stop, or even turn, maybe. Has anybody had a similar experience? What did you do about it. I don't want to have to confine him in those small spaces. He's my next endurance horse and has great potetial. I don't want to lose him.

Thank you for any advice.

Linda-Cathrine
slypner@juno.com