re: prices and snobbery

>>> Maybe 1 in 100 was actually the height advertised and had sort of
straight legs. I NEVER, EVER, found one that was properly trained.
  In the meantime, we sold 3 horses that fit that description, for $3500.
-
6000.  In retrospect, I was crazy>>>>

Hi Wendy
I'm not in CA and I'm not involved in looking that intensely for a horse,
but I have a couple of reactions to your post.

For me, each horse is a project.  Each project is as personal as .....as
a comfortable old pair of jeans.  The jeans didn't start out looking like
my shape, but after a few years all the bends and wear spots are where I
want them.  And they probably wouldn't  fit you well.  If we are the same
general size and shape you could probably get into them and wear them,
but if I sold them to you it would take a while for you to feel really
comfortable in them.

Last night I happened to watch a rented, British made,  video called "An
Eye For Horses".  ( As an instructor I try to keep up with some of the
materials available to my students.)  This  was a fairly dry, methodical
discussion of the principle issues to be considered when horse shopping,
including a segment on pre-purchase exam, etc.  At the end of the video I
was surprised, and, I may say, pleased, to hear the narrator conclude by
saying that it is not always what is on the outside that is most
important, but that the heart of the horse should meet the heart of the
buyer.

No matter what horse I buy I will still change the training and responses
of that horse to meet my own criteria.  Even a rider who doesn't plan on
that will do it.

I tell my students when they are looking for a horse to make an honest
assessment of the problems or deficiencies which they simply cannot
afford to buy. Then find a horse which has the fewest of these, fits
their budget and still makes their heart sing.  Buy that horse.
Granted, these folk generally are not looking to go to the top.  But when
they are ready to do that they will have a different list, and a
differently educated eye.  And may they still buy from the heart.

When I sell a horse I tell callers up front about the horse's flaws and
find that the general market does not want to hear about it.  Angie
posted last year, I think, that endurance people are the only ones who
will advertise a 14.1 hand horse as 14.1H (or something like that,
Angie?)

Its always a crap shoot.
Good luck !  :o))

Marie
in NY

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]