another saddle fit question

Hi  -

Does anyone know a guideline for determining the correct panel length on a saddle for a horse?  I am looking for a accurate way to determine the correct and max. panel length.   For example, should the saddle panels be allowed to go past the horse's last rib?  Past his flank (I thought not, but don't really know)?

Thanks in advance -

ps.  Sorry my earlier post went through 3 times.  My isp's mail server was being flaky.