Re: RC: Jim Oury

>Howard <Howard4567@aol.com> said:
> > Those of you quoting statutes and paragraphs from various
> > law publications regarding law suits need to know one thing.
> > A lawyer needs a client to make money.  If we started taking
> > away all the clients, maybe we could save our civil judicial
> > system from itself and those who run it...
>
>The thing is, it may not even be Jim Oury's decision.
>The "client" who decides to sue for compensatory damages may
>be Jim's health and/or disability insurance company.
>
>I just acquired a new health insurance plan.  Part of the
>agreement is that I must cooperate fully in any legal action
>the insurance company elects to take to regain what it had
>to spend on me.
>
>In the face of such cold-blooded corporate decision making
>(Is a law suit a net revenue-producing proposition for the
>company?  That is, can the company regain more money in a
>settlement than it will cost then to proceed with this
>law suit>), fair play and the future good of endurance
>don't even signify.
>
>Linda B. Merims
>lbm@ici.net
>Linda_Merims@ne.3com.com
>Massachusetts, USA

That's a very good point to make Linda. As long as it's going to cost
SOMEONE, somewhere, to repair those broken bones, that someone is going
after some money to do it. More importantly, though, is the distinction
between signing away your right to a lawsuit if YOU choose to throw YOURSELF
off a cliff with your runaway horse during an endurance race and not being
culpable for mowing down an innocent bystander with said runaway back at
basecamp. It's not as simple as all holding hands and promising not to hire
lawyers...

Bonnie in AZ