RE: Hold Times

Wendy,
I didn't mean to sound hostile, just persistant in my point! Where we ride
we already have at least 3 hours of hold times in the ride, sometimes closer
to 4 hours. Increasing those times comes out of the overall time we're
allowed. Any more than that is taking too much ride strategy from the rider.
Our horses seem to eat about all they want or need (at one time) with 45
minutes. It's not good to give them too large a meal at one time when
they're working either. Personally, I like 1 hour hold on a 100 to give
myself a chance to rest, and the horse gets to rest a little after eating
too. But if I sit too long, it's hard to get going again. I don't think we
do the horse any favors if they stand around for too long after they finish
eating. Maybe part of my strong feelings on this was that 13 of my hundreds
were with a stallion. Being in camp wasn't really "down time" for him,
especially the first couple years. He spent more time looking around than
eating. I got more food into him out of camp.
Too many long mandated hold times remove this option from the rider. When
the ride times are really short (20 min.) I just stay in camp until we've
had enough to eat.
Nancy Mitts