Re: RC: Unidentified subject!

>>Ok, this is the gist of the observation......RM's, how much harder would it
be to have someone give a 20 minute presentation after the ride meeting on
Friday night?  Some of the topics the vets thought were important included,
feeding an endurance horse, conditioning schedules, saddle fit, developing
an eye for problems, hydration issues.  I think we could include feeding and
watering the rider, as an alert rider will take better care of the horse.  I
saw too many exhausted riders too! I'm sure there are more pertinent topics
that could be added.  Riders, would you stay for such a presentation?  Is
this something AERC could address in a series of presentations that RM's
could use as a step off to creating a presentation easily?

I offered such a thing at Norco last year, after the ride meeting.
Nobody took me up on it, most of the newbies said ahead of time they
were happy to hear of it (via an entry confirmation letter and in the
welcome letter in their rider packet).  I think AERC material for new
riders that the ride mgr can send out ahead would be more effective,
at least in PS.

I agree with Terry that well fed/hydrated riders make better
decisions where their horses are concerned, so my ride will continue
to offer rider food as well as horse food.

An 85 rider controlled start was quite an experience!  Good vets and
volunteers, though Terry has lost a lot of her volunteers who have
become riders (just like you will be again, in Nov.?)  Ember and I
were happy to finally be out on the trail again.

Lynne

Ontario, CA
Norco Riverdance Ride (PS) 9/2/00
and Rem-member Me, Celesteele