Re: sore back on my horse

>The swelling is down but he sure is tight in the rear
>and those muscles are really tense and hard.  I am so ashamed and don't
>know what else I can do for him.  I want him to be comfortable and feel
>better.

Blaze developed giant welts on his back after riding him a longer time in
my Aussie saddle that I thought fit him.  He had appeared fine during
shorter rides (less than 4 hours) but it showed up the first time we rode
for a longer time.  (It put too much pressure at the ends of the bars and
also bridged...he's got a little bit of a swayback.)  There wasn't much I
could do except give him some Bute and some time off...and not ride in that
saddle again.  I didn't massage it a lot but basically left it to resolve
on it's own, which it did over the next couple of days.  He was let out to
the pasture with the thought that walking around would help the circulation
and any stiffness in his back.  Since then he has been fine but does not
sweat much in those spots and his winter coat grows out with 2 big white
spots in those areas (so I can feel guilty all over again when the cold
weather arrives. ;-))

Also...this relates to a previous thread...he is a chestnut with LOTS of
white -- 4 stockings, actually more like leg warmers since they come up
over his knees, the back ones going up the inside of his legs, a huge blaze
on his face, and he's roaning on his chest and flank area.  He's 13.  So
now he has two large white circles where the ends of the bars on the saddle
irritated him and a few white hairs where the saddle bridged in the back.
Does the chestnut and white hairs stuff mean he's *more* susceptible to
growing out with white hairs over stressed or injured areas?

Anyway Maggie, the areas will heal.  It took Blaze a few days and I was
careful not to re-irritate them in the process (no riding until there's no
soreness left...and then add a few days.)  I now ride him in a different
saddle with some extra foam in the more dipped area of his back.  He has
not had any evidence of soreness or swelling again.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.