sore back on my horse

Hi ridecampers,
I went riding this week with my sister....I don't know how to explain this.
 She decided (has been bugging me all year) to go on this loooooong ride to
my brother's house (85 miles).  Due to the lateness of the season and an
unwillingness to spend too many nights in the open air, I devised the
shortest possible route and set my mind to go with her...she is diabetic
and couldn't find her way out of a wet paper sack with a flashlight.  I
felt it was my sisterly duty to go along and protect her.  We did 40+ miles
the first day.... I had had enough.   We got rained on, it was miserable, I
was menstruating (fun, fun, fun), I was feeling apprehensive, I wasn't
happy being out there doing it (so much for my philosophy about if it don't
feel right, don't do it!)....etc.  We made it to our camp where my friend
checked on us as preplanned, she took me to the nearest pay phone and I
called my hubby to come get me.  My butt and my body were killing
me....mind you, we took our time and made it there barely before dark...no
pushing.  We were able to stop several times for water, lunch and potty
breaks and let our horses graze often.  But my dear Jonathan now has a
terribly sore back.   I haven't determined from what...I was sore and
perhaps not riding my best, we were in the saddle much longer than we
usually are and at faster speeds I am sure I post more and am simply not
"sitting" in the saddle so much.  We used this same saddle last weekend and
had the vet check EVERY time for any soreness.  He was fine every time.
Anyway, I am devastated that I hurt my horse...he is such a trooper and he
never let on that he was sore.  The last 3-5 miles we did push a trot
because it was getting dark and he moved just wonderfully.  The only
indication that he might have been sore was the hanging the head to one
side thing (which we are working on with bio scan and has been improving).
I FEEL SO AWFUL ABOUT HURTING MY DEAR FRIEND.  I have used Absorbine.  Also
used cold packs to bring down the swelling.  Since I am sure there will be
no more competing this year, I also gave him bute yesterday and today.  I
have massaged.  Don't know if I am any good at it.  He tolerates it and
doesn't move away.  The swelling is down but he sure is tight in the rear
and those muscles are really tense and hard.  I am so ashamed and don't
know what else I can do for him.  I want him to be comfortable and feel
better.  To top it all off, my sister is mad at me cuz I made her come home
with us...she wanted to continue on to my brother's house.  I just can't
win for losing!!  I can't believe all the hard miles we have ridden with no
problems, no soreness or lameness.  And 40 slooooow, easy miles does us
in!!  Any and all suggestions about how to make my buddy better will be
appreciated.  BTW, the bioscan lady is coming to treat him with the lights
but not until Tuesday.
Maggie
Michigan
P.S.  Constructive advice only please as I have already beat myself to
death over this...I couldn't possibly shed another tear...not until I go
back out in the morning to massage him again.