Re: Feeding

On Thu, 23 Sep 1999 18:57:50 -0700, "guest@endurance.net"
<guest@endurance.net> wrote:

> DOTTIE ARAB8WINDS@AOL.COM
> HI, COULD ANY ONE GIVE ME SOME IDEAS ON A GOOD FEEDING PROGRAM FOR A BEGINNING ENDRANCE HORSE
> IN CENTRAL FLORIDA?THANKS.

The base of your feeding program should be hay, hay, and more hay. Or
instead: pasture, pasture, and more pasture.  This will provide the
foundation for fufilling your horse's nutritional needs, including
energy, vitamins, minerals, protein, and so on.  Then, make sure he has
salt available (free-choice loose white salt is preferable for most
folks). And always provide water, water, and, well, water.

Hopefully, I have emphasized that enough :-).  As your conditioning
program continues, you may find your horse losing some fat stores that
you really wanted to keep.  At that time, the path to an ideal feeding
program can take one of several directions.  You can substitute some hay
for a higher energy or more digestible feed.  For example, some
endurance riders may begin to add beet pulp, a higher energy forage,
grains, or ??? to begin packing in more Calories per pound to combat
undesirable weight loss. Even though most horses are virtual vacuums,
they do have a limit to their intake each day.  This limit is usually
hit by either meeting their daily energy needs or simply not able to
physically consume half a barnful of hay per day.  I'll avoid the horses
marked as *exceptions* that eat anything all the time --- they try to
redefine the rules we try to so humbly define :-).

If your horse is still having a heck of a time holding his body fat
stores and you do not want to feed any more grain or pulp, you can
introduce some vegetable oil to his beet pulp or grain ration to pack in
even more Calories.  Compared to corn, oil packs in a bot more than two
and a half times more energy per pound (as fed basis).  And, you do not
have the "soluble carbohydrate" overload concern that comes with feeding
corn or other "low fiber, high carb" feeds.

Always keep in mind that since your horse is an individual, his feeding
program must take in account his individual needs.  Many horses may get
a long just fine out on pasture, while others require oil
supplementation in their beet pulp supplement to keep from looking like
a toothpick with four splinters.  Some horses are prone to "tying-up"
--- one cause could be from a condition called "polysaccharide storage
myopathy", which may be best treated through a reduction or elimination
of sources high in soluble carbohydrate content (corn, for example).
Other horses may be more sensitive to electrolyte imbalances, which
requires attention to the calcium, potassium, salt, and magnesium levels
in the feed.  As you continue conditioning your horse, you will begin to
see where his needs are in relation to nutrition, and even more
adjustments may be discovered when you are at an actual ride under more
stressful conditions.

And then just as you thought you had it all figured out, you'll notice a
concoction of vitamin and mineral supplements, probiotics,
hoof-builders, carbo products, electrolytes, nutricuticals, and other
products you could only *imagine* sold by a ridecamp vendor or sitting
near your neighbor's trailer at a ride.  These products have their
place, but don't feel pressured in using them unless you feel it is
needed.

For example, some riders have had the best of luck feeding probiotics to
their horses who have a weight maintenance problem.  Others have found
no difference at all.  Carbo products are great for some horses, and may
lead to massive rodeos with others.  And then with carbo products, you
need to keep the administration frequency monitored so you don't get
stuck on a low glucose, high insulin "downer".

Want more examples?  You have electrolytes in a syringe which is an
absolute requirement for many horses in a ride to combat salt losses
from sweat.  On the other hand, dosing a dehydrated horse with
electrolytes spells major trouble!  And then there's the different types
of electrolytes; some with sodium bicarbonate, which is a no-no for
endurance horses but maybe helpful for race horses on the track.  And
electrolytes packed with sugar (dextrose), with very little "salt" in it
--- so you need to scrutinize the labels to know what your horse is
really getting.  There's pro's and con's with everything --- just ask
the friendly folks on this list nicely, and you'll have more information
and opinions then you'll know what to do with, LOL!

Once again, it just all depends on your horse's needs.  IMHO, I might
recommend a general vitamin supplement if your conditioning program is
getting more serious, but stick with one only.  You will want to talk
with your vet if you have concerns about your horse's long-term
soundness (ie joints), your ration's balance, and any mineral
deficiencies or toxicities which may be present in your area (selenium
concerns, for example).  A good working relationship with your vet will
be ever-so-important to maintaining your horse's health!  And above all,
never try something new at a ride :-D!  How many can attest to that :-D!

Hope it helps a bit --- and I've only just scratched the surface! I
could go on, and on, and oonnnnn...

Kim (and 'Lee)