Hold Times

Wendy Merendini merendiniws@navair.navy.mil
I am going to jump in on this one.  This (and martingales - I will not go there!) are my latest soap boxes!

The more experience I gain in riding 100 mile rides the more I
see the hugh benefit to our horses that longer hold times
bring.  I have found that on 50s it is not as critical, unless
it is a really tough one or especially hot/humid.

The vets increased the hold times for the Cosequin ride.  I for
one was grateful for those increases as I believe that our
horses need a minimun hold times of 30 minutes during a one
day 100 mile ride.  Also I like to see at least one (prefer two) 1 hour holds during the course of a 100 mile ride.

By not giving our horses enough time to let down and really eat we are starving them!  (I have a friend that says the Tevis has become a starvation ride with the reduction of hold times.)
Now I know folks will say that you can stay longer at the check,
but lets be realistic if you are racing you cannot afford to
wait the extra time (now of course, I am only referring to going
on when everything is okay with your horse).

The longer holds will also allow time for potential problems to
show up.  I have found that the horses I have piloted through
100s have not gotten sour with the extra time, they have been
better for it.

As for flowing from the P&R to the vet - I have only noticed this
to be mandatory at FEI rides.  And FEI rides usually have longer
hold times, so your horse will have time to veg out and relax.
FEI vets will ask you to bring the horse back for anything that
they are not comfortable with, no matter how seemingly insignifigant.

We have several vets here in the West that require you to wait
at least half way through your hold time to vet the horse. This
can be a pain though when your horse is really chowing down and
you have to take him away from food to the vet.  Although
I think the mounted trot out just before you leave the check is
cool.

IMHO we must always put what is best for the horse first - not
the convenience of any human types involved, and not because
"we have always done it this way".

'Nuff said...
Wendy Merendini
& Fire Mt. Flikka