how long lasts tying-up syndromes and what are syndroms?

sabine rossow info@corma.com
Hi,

I just had a 20 mile novice ride on last sunday, (sept.19.) and got a young arabian that went the first 10 mile loop very well and during the second loop hit a rock very hard with his front hoof and started to really limp badly. I decided to pull him but other long experienced riders advised me to keep going after trotting him out for them. From then on it went downhill, it was very rocky terrain, and I could not hold him back since he missed his buddy. Basically he just wanted to go with the other horses that were more experienced. I came off him. He was sweating profusely. Finally we caught up with his buddy. During vet check the heartrate was 51 and when I wanted to walk him back to the trailer, he did not want to move at all and just moved his front leg like in a begging movement. I tried to get him going but he was very reluctant. I asked the vet on hand to please check him out. She just asked me if he rolled and I said no. So she said he is probably just tired. I walked him a bit and tied him to the trailer with a light blanket on him. The half hour later vet check was fine and his heart rate was 48 and he trotted nice and strong. However, I had a long trailer ride home in a open stock trailer and the temperature got very chilly ( no blanket). When I got home late he tried to go pee  but only in small quantities. He drank and ate. On monday I got the vet out to check him over. Temperature, heartrate everything is normal, good appetite and gave him a selenium shot. However I kept him in the barn and a strong cold northwind was blowing all night and day. So when I came home yesterday, he kept his head and neck down. He even cantered and trotted in this position. I called the vet and he said that he might have EPM. I am freaking here, I gave him some bute this morning. What could this be. Did he get a muscle chill on this trailer ride from hell home 4 1/2 hours? He is urinating fine now. Should I apply liniment and cover him with blankets. I would really like some constructive input. My vet is not really specialized in the CTR department.
My email address at home is rottsrus@ora.auracom.com
Thank you very much in advance
Sabine

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-