Re: RC: Re: Ride Managers' Viewpoint

In a message dated 9/22/99 6:06:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
tpranch@internetwork.net writes:

<< As for the finish line, if you put it at a "safe" place away from county
 roads and camp, people complain it is too far to walk to, no one wants
 to sit there and be the finish timer, etc..so you can't win." >>

When you explain it in terms of safety, most folks quit bellyaching.
Sometimes the inherent problems of a particular finish line are not obvious
to folks who have not seen wrecks happen before.  Whoever said that an
accident is a wake-up call is right.  As I mentioned in a previous post,
another ride manager solved a problem similar to what I perceive to be the
layout at the Posse Ride by posting people with walkie-talkies to ensure that
NO cars were allowed on that section when riders could be racing down it.
Having had to manage similar potentially hazardous finish lines in the past,
I can tell you that when it is explained to riders in terms of life and Life
Flight, they understand.  One of our rides has a clear run for a mile that
terminates in a narrow 90 degree turn, and if one misses it, one ends up on
blacktop in a potential traffic area or plastered up against a tree.
Needless to say, we put the finish line far enough ahead of that turn that
riders have a run-out area before reaching it.  Yep, it is over a quarter of
a mile from camp to the line, and it is out of sight.  Them's the breaks,
folks.  But--our managers ARE volunteers, with varying levels of experience.
If we made managers take some sort of "test" (Lord knows what one would
"test") in order to prove competency, we likely would not have many managers
left.  It's bad enough having to put up with weather, regulatory agencies,
and the politics that seem to be creeping into our sport--Louise is right
that it is a wonder that ANYONE with any brains or competency is willing to
put up with it all and manage rides.  Experienced riders should also scope
out the finish line in advance and make their decisions about racing based
upon potential hazards.  Not all riders can visualize those hazards as well
as others may be able to.  That's the stuff of which accidents are made.

Heidi