Re: morgan

Back in the early '70s a horse trader brought in some wild horses he had
picked up in Canada.  It was explained to us that some rancher had gone in
and killed the wild stallions and introduced morgan stallions to the wild
herds.  What I got to see was several generations of this cross.  They were
beautiful.  The heads were very dished with very wide forheads, longish
muscular necks, short backs and round musular butts.  They had good solid
bone and med. to largish feet. (compared to our standards today) Nicely
muscled without being too heavy.   In effect they were the ideal type of
horse that most of us look for in endurance partners.  We bought two of
them.  One had appaloosa coloring the other was coal black with a white
blaze face. These were both long yearlings.  While we were waiting to load
up our fillies.    I watched the cowboys trying to get a halter on one of
the older  mares.  They had cut her from the herd and run her into a chute.
They  were on platforms putting them 1/2 of their body length above the
mares head.
They had ropes and sticks attached to the halter that they were trying to
get on her head.   3 men worked hard to accomplish this feat.  I watched
this mare scream and rear and strike and bite at them while they tried to
get this halter on her.  The term wild came to full light as I watched this.
I was in awe of this mare.   When they got the halter on her and they left
her alone, I walked closer to the chute.  She looked at me.  It wasnt a
scared look.  It was something I dont really have words for.  It was like a
huge question was being asked of me.  One I couldnt answer.  I fought tears
then as I do now remembering her.  I dont know what ever happened to her.
She touched me very deeply in that short moment .
   The two fillies had much the same body style as that mare.  The appaloosa
being pehaps a bit lighter in body.  She was not quite the pretty body style
of the black one.  The black one was much like the mare in the chute.  I had
handled rough stock before, but not wild ones.  They were actually easier to
train than one of those spoiled backyard brats.  When I got into mules years
later, I realized that wild horses and mules think alike.  Once the fillies
realized that we meant no harm and began to trust us, training went fast.
In a week they both would lead and pick up their feet.  Now I spent several
hours a day every day being around them.  They would watch us work with the
OTHER horses .  Im sure the OTHERS  talked to them and reassured them.  I
was surprised that they gentled so easily.  To finally bring this one to an
end,   we sold them to private parties and they left my life a little
richer.               gesa n clovis