RE: Re: Anyone going to Lassen Challenge?

From:	Joan Ruprecht
Great Karen,

I am proud of you as a family,  that is our big deal.  now that the children
rde on their own (ages 33-42), we sponcer the grand kids every chance we
get
[Karen Sullivan]

[Karen Sullivan]  Thanks Joan, though I have my doubts about this is out family sport!  The kids did more bickering than I would have liked. My daughter had her nose out of joint because her Arab couldn't do the ride and she had to ride the new horse (who did very well, I thought). My son was full of enthusiasm and questions, and didn't take well to sister making critical comments.....may have to take them separately on rides or find sponsor for my daughter (who is delightful with strangers!)

But......we did accomplish my goal-everyone finished safe and sound and all horses for all A's. We took it slow, since the one mare was not  really fit and it was just an introduction to the sport for the kids horses. I was really pleased at how relaxed they were at the start,how well they camped and ate and drank.  We took over 4 hours on the 25 (short 25?)
and my son was really excited to complete. The horses finished with lots of energy; my mare was entirely another story, a real pain in the rear-I doubt we went straight the whole ride.  Made me think I want to find a challenging 50 for her this fall.

Lets see......Ed Meyers won the 50 and took best condition.  I think Ron Waltenspeil came in 3 or so.

My friends daughter won the 25-I know they did not "race" it......they got in a steady pace (trot and slow canter) and walked all the downhills. Their horses finished with all A's too.

Anyway, it was a lovely camp, laid back ride; just wish the kids had had more fun.....

Karen

.

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-