Re: RC: trailer loading--the John Lyons method-- LONG!

In a message dated 9/17/99 6:12:57 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
lsn@bellsouth.net writes:

<< One question, does JL cover horses that "piaffe" in the trailer. My horse
goes in
 easily enough, but once inside, he "piaffes" until the trailer starts moving.
 Then he stalls OK. He does not tend to do this if trailered with another
horse.
 However, 99% of the time, he trailers alone. Also, does JL address how to
teach a
 horse to unload from a slant load. My arab is large (15.3) and long and
hasn't
 quite figures out how to step over before he steps out and down. >>

Laura;
If a horse is scrambling or piaffing in the trailer he has NOT been taught to
calmly load and unload.  That was why I answered as I did.  I had a horse
that would paw incessantly while in the trailer but would load fine.  He had
been pushed into loading but once in would show just how far beyond his
comfort level he was by pawing.  He had learned he would be whipped if he
didn't jump right in but he was terrified.  So many people are fooled by the
fact their horse will load so they think he doesn't have a problem...until
the horse rears in the trailer or tries to come out of the trailer under the
butt bar or scrambles or ................   Find out where your horse is
comfortable in the loading sequence.  If it is just before he goes in then
start there.  Ask the horse to load ONE foot.  If the horse tries to lunge
into the trailer be ready to ask him to stop before that happens and back
that foot out.  Praise and start again.  Focus on asking for one foot (that
is the mini lesson) then both feet and so on.  Really notice when he is OK
with something and when he is nervous.  Don't let him fly into the trailer
because he thinks that is where he is going to get the least grief.  Once
there he is getting nervous or he wouldn't be piaffing.  If he does jump all
the way in while you are working on one foot, calmly put pressure on the lead
and ask him to step out.  If he is the kind who rushes out, be safe and stay
out of the way until he is out.  (I am assuming you can lay the lead on his
back so he doesn't get it tangled on you or himself.  You can always grab the
lead as he comes out that way.) Break it down until you KNOW he is
comfortable with all the mini steps.  Even then he might be slightly nervous
the first few times you load him all the way.  Let him stay only a short time
before asking him to back out.  Work up to asking him to stay while you go
through the motions of closing up without actually doing it.  You are
teaching him to focus on whatever cue you are asking for instead of his
nervousness.  You don't punish him for being nervous but you don't try to
soothe him either.  You can't baby talk or pet a horse who is nervous into
calmness.  You can teach a *conditioned response* that the horse does 100% of
the time no matter the distraction.  THAT is soothing to the horse.  It's
sort of a "been there, done that" reaction to the situation.  The horse is
being asked to do something he absolutely knows how to do (step forward ONE
step) and when he gets the right answer the pressure is off (the reward) and
he gets praise.  That is why it is SO important to teach the *go forward* cue
away from the trailer and then just add moving up to the trailer then one
step in and so on.

Good luck with your teaching and let me know how it turns out.

Melanie in AZ