driving thru hell to avoid Floyd

I was going to post this sooner, but my phone has been out for three days.
Aftermath of Floyd, I'm sure.

I know all of you are familiar with the joys of trailering horses, and some
of you might actually enjoy the experience.   I must say I'm not a happy
trailering person, but I usually turn up the music and try to make the most
of it.

But leaving on Tuesday morning, with my teenager driving his truck, my wife
driving her car, and me and my diesel and horse trailer loaded with every
kind of imaginable tack and two horses, left me feeling a little
apprehensive.  As we make the turn to head west (seemed like the best
direction to go in) we got one mile and stopped.  Three hours later we had
completed a total of twenty miles.  And I'm not exagerating here.  Just
unbelievable.

Why they didn't make the road I was on one way, using the other lane (nobody
else was using it) is beyond me.  Another road that intersected the one I was
on should have also been one way(northbound).  This caused my three hour
ordeal, and as we crawled along the highway with my horses rocking the
trailer cause they weren't used to trailering at 3 MPH, I had time to reflect
on those anger management classes my exwife had me attend when I was younger.

I found myself almost wishing I was back in Korea.  The Koreans would not
have put up with this idiotic traveling, they would have made three lanes out
of this road, all one way, realizing that those in charge of the situation
did not have a clue as to what was going on.  I was watching my teenage son,
driving his beloved red pick-up behind me, just going crazy.  He has
attention deficit disorder (ADD) and can't sit still long enough to watch a
half hour TV show.  The beginning of our trip was definitely pushing his ADD
to the limits.

My ten year old daughter, Jennifer, was traveling with me in the truck (she
loves the diesel) and helped me keep control of what was left of my senses.
One thing I'll remember is this lady in front of us.  She kept jumping out of
her car, running to the other side of the car, opening up both doors on that
side (it was a 4 door car), seeing that traffic was moving, shut the doors,
ran back to the drivers side and moved up with traffic.  She did this 3 or 4
times.  I had no idea what she was up to.  Finally, the traffic just stayed
put for us to realize what she was doing here.  Jennifer told me, "Dad, I
think she's going potty."  Jennifer was right, cause when we started moving
again, we both saw the yellow puddle on the road as we drove by.

I was listening on the radio to someone interviewing an authority figure from
NASA asking him if we were still going to have a Shuttle Program after Floyd
hit the Space Coast.  He repsonded that the shuttle facilities were built to
handle 110 MPH winds.  Floyd was still doing 155 and heading right towards
them.  As I watched the trees shake from the wind gusts sitting in this
traffic, I started thinking we Americans are way too law abiding sometimes.
I wanted to start a trend and open up that other lane that was just sitting
there empty, but elected not to pretend I was Korean.

Well, it turns out we were in the middle of the largest evacuation in Floida,
if not American history.  Two and a half million people on the roadways
throughout the state.  If I had 4 horses with me instead of just two, I would
have considered saddling them up and leaving the cars along the side of the
road.  We would have made much better time and had more fun.

We finally made it near Tallahassee.  I wanted to tell the Governer what I
thought of his evacuation but he wasn't home.  So I unloaded my horses in his
front yard, set up a portable corral and pitched a tent.  That knowledge
gained from endurance riding and camping has come in handy.

When we found out that Floyd had made a miraculous turn to the north, we just
could not believe our luck.  We had really thought the house would be blown
away.  Next time, I just might not leave quickly, cause it's obvious no one
really knows how these things are going to turn out.  Except South and North
Carolina.  I think they always know they're gonna get hit if it misses
Florida.

We got home the next day, saw lots of trees down, but when we got to the
house, everything was there.  Barn and all.  So damn lucky.  Whew.  Looks
like I'll make that next Georgia ride (Liberty TWO) after all.  It will be a
piece of cake (the trailering) after Floyd.  YEEEEE HAWWWWWW, back in the
saddle again.

cya,
Howard

PS.  THANKS TO JACKIE BAKER FOR watching my least loved horse for me.
Couldn't fit him in, cause my Saddlebred takes up two spots in my three horse
trailer.  Jackie and her husband, Steve, are a couple of saints and I can't
thank them enough.  Beer's on me in GA you two.