Re: RC: Re: Re: green horses and CTR

In a message dated 9/17/99 10:45:17 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
sunibey@sisqtel.net writes:

<<  I had heard that the best way to start was with a slow 50 miler.  Given
 that I am still not sure about the slow part if you are also a newbie, what
 is the general consensus? >>

Hi Dyane -- My horse, Star, (5 yo) came off the race track about 13 months
ago and is now doing Looooooong Sloooooow Distance (well Limited Distance,
that is).  In his particular case, his muscles needed quite a bit of
re-training before he'll be ready for a 50.  He is getting better, but still
struggles to balance himself well up hill.  Plus, I worry about bones,
ligaments and tendons and figure slower is better (a lot of fellow
Ridecampers have reinforced this idea for me).  I think that when people talk
about ruining a horse by doing LD on them, they are talking about horses they
intend to "race" and worrying that the horse will quit in the middle.  I like
the fact that Star is learning to take care of himself BEFORE it becomes a
matter that can make him sick (which can happen at a 50 if they don't eat and
drink and generally take care of themselves).  We're also taking dressage
lessons which is helping both of us I think.  The good thing that I see with
him doing LD rather than the 50s at this point is that he is still frisky and
happy at the end of a 25 or a NATRC ride.  He MIGHT be fine after 50, but I'm
not sure and don't want to risk his wonderful attitude.  I'm keeping things
fun for him and moving the distance up slowly.  He probably will never be a
"racer" (I'm a "chicken") but I like to finish around middle of the pack on
50s and so far, he looks like he'll be capable.  He'll do his first 50
sometime next ride season and it will definitely be a slow one.  How old is
your ex-race horse?  There is also the consideration of their muscles
changing from fast-twitch to slow twitch (or vice versa, I'm never sure), so
although ex-race horses have many advantages, they also need some
consideration as well.  Best of luck to you!

Sylvia