trailer loading--the John Lyons method-- LONG!

Nancy and Amber;

Someone else has given a recommendation for John Lyons trailer loading tape
and I am here to second that.  As opposed to many other methods of just
getting your horse in, JL methods achieve a CALM horse that trailers and
unloads, and with careful driving, will be no problem to haul.  JL doesn't
change his methods for the type or age of the horse.  He won't make excuses
about how hard this will be for Ol' Dobbin because he just hates ramp-load
trailers!  He gives the horse credit for being able to learn a simple cue and
then does his job by concentrating on teaching that cue (not on the evasions
or the distractions).  This has been the biggest break through for me (the
emphasis on focusing on *just* the cue and not the distractions) and the
hardest for me to learn and stay with.  But it does work and changes, for the
better, your relationship with your horses. I won't jump on anyone's method
for getting it done but I want to point out *why* JL recommends some of the
things he does.

First, an explanation of some of the terms and the "how-to" part of teaching
his methods.  He uses a "go forward" cue, which to him, is the kissing sound.
 You can make it a cluck or whistle or anything you choose as long as you are
100% consistent.  Having a dressage type whip (not too short, not too long)
to be able to reach the hip while still standing at the horse's shoulder is
necessary.  It would help immensely if you have learned/reviewed his leading
lesson but you can teach this as long as you have a cue for stepping forward.
 Since horses use their hindquarters to push forward you will be looking at a
spot on his hip to *cue*.  You don't DRAG the horse forward by the halter.
Don't put pressure on the lead except to ask his head to stay straight ahead
(not allowing him to take his head to left or right) but no jerking on the
lead.  Ask for forward movement (kiss) then follow with tap on hip spot if no
forward mov't.  Continue tapping if horse doesn't move forward or if he backs
up.  Stop tapping as soon as, and ONLY if, you get any forward mov't.  You
aren't asking the horse to load; you are asking for forward mov't.  (YOU
AREN'T TAPPING TO IRRITATE THE HORSE INTO JUMPING INTO THE TRAILER!!)  Once
the horse has this figured out away from the trailer, walk toward the
trailer, stopping when the horse does (this is where the horse is still
comfortable).

Assuming you are using a straight load trailer you should have both doors
open and the fasteners out of the way.  You WILL NOT be getting into the
trailer with the horse under any circumstances!  Do NOT have the feed door or
escape door open.  It is NOT comforting to the horse to be able to see out.
It is a temptation to the panicked horse to crawl out!  There shouldn't be
any feed in the manger.  Make sure the floor doesn't have a build up of
manure as it can be slippery.

From here you will ask for fwd mov't one step at a time, letting the horse
stand quietly for a short period before asking for next step.  Pet and praise
when horse is resting.  If horse backs up ask for him to return to where he
was (no more) then let stand.  Soon you will have horse close to trailer.
Let the horse sniff, paw as long as his focus is on the trailer.  This is
where he might try to pull evasions such as pushing over the top of you,
taking his head away from the trailer, etc.  Use your lead to keep his head
toward the trailer or pushing on his shoulder to keep him out of your space.
If he tries to swing his hindquarters away, DON'T make a circle and try to
square him up to the trailer.  Keep his head pointed at the entrance and
continue asking for that forward mov't.  If his head goes into the trailer he
will figure out how to get the rest of him in!  In other words don't leave
the trailer once you have started this lesson to come back up and start
again.  You can choose to stop at any point and start again later or another
day.  You don't have to get the horse into the trailer in one big lesson.
But, I won't go into all the evasions and corrections.

This is where you *must*  focus and ask for step forward and stop tapping
when the horse even leans fwd.  You are telling the horse you are willing to
reward any thought of going fwd.  You are going to ask the horse to load one
foot a hundred times, then both feet a hundred more, then three feet a
hundred more, then all the way a few hundred more.  This is only a slight
exaggeration as you *must* take your time here.  Each time you load that foot
you also get to unload that foot.  Most horses won't leave the foot there
longer than a few seconds at first but as long as he complies with cue be
sure to pet and praise him.  When the horse is OK with loading the first
foot, ask him to leave it longer.  If you think he will take his foot away in
2 seconds then ask him immediately to back that foot off.  Then more quickly
ask again, giving him opportunity to leave it there.

JL likes to use the concept of a minute timer.  Ask the horse to leave his
foot in the trailer for 5 seconds of the minute and 55 seconds with his foot
out of the trailer.  Build up to reversing those numbers (55 in and 5 out).
Let the horse sniff and check out the trailer as long as he is keeping his
feet in the trailer.  Remember you are backing him (just his foot/feet at
first) out of the trailer BEFORE he gets anxious.  You are getting to load
that foot/feet multiple times so he is getting the right answer and lots of
praise but you are also teaching him to unload calmly.  The cue to ask the
horse to back out of the trailer (or just one foot at the start) is to put
backwards pressure on the lead (pretty much common sense but I didn't want to
assume!).

All along it is up to your judgment when the horse is OK at that level and
when it is time to ask for next step.  If the horse is relaxed, neck soft and
he's chewing it is obvious he is ready but you need to be able to "read"
whether he is OK with what you have asked so far.  JL also has a theory that
horses have a learning curve that goes: he's good, then bad, then much
better, then really bad, then really good.  Most of us stop with the good
stage and then the horse goes thru the other stages at a later date where we
loose our patience and use all the colorful language we've picked up over the
years!  We end up undoing all the work we had done by forcing the horse in
the trailer because we are convinced the horse is just being stubborn or
stupid.  We just didn't work thru all the stages at the teaching stage no
matter how long that takes.

They will let you know when you are finished as they will be calmly walking
up to and stepping all the way in with one request.  At this point it is OK
to have the horse back out and take him away 10-15 feet and then walk up to
and load into the trailer. Horses are individuals and take various amounts of
time to really teach how to calmly load and unload.  You don't change the
cues or the expectations because the horse is older, had been abused, had
been in a wreck or is an Arabian(!)  You proceed with the next stage when the
horse is calm with the preceding one.  The horse figures out you aren't
rushing him into anything and if you focus on asking for just that ONE step
and he gets that right, the pressure is off.  The horse will, as I stated,
try some evasions.  As long as you keep your cool and fix the evasion while
still asking for the step forward then the horse WILL learn that the pressure
is released only when he complies.  Don't focus on the evasion and punish
him; focus on fixing the evasion and getting the EXACT thing you asked for ..
forward movement.  If he rears then you can use the whip on his front legs,
below the knees, for as long as he is in the air.  Continue with the cue and
if he moves slightly forward, stop and praise.  Don't hold a grudge for any
misbehavior on his part.  Get the mov't and be lavish with the praise.

Once the horse is loading all the way in, don't close him in yet.  Ask him to
stay longer and longer while you bang the butt bar or touch the door and
swing it a little.  If the horse objects to these things and wants to back
out it is OK a few times then start asking the horse to step back forward
when he takes the first step back.  Remember the horse MUST comply with a
step forward if you give him the cue (kiss) or tapping on his hip until he
complies.  He might be halfway out before he stops backing and steps forward
but at that moment stop the cue.  Give it a moment and then ask him to step
all the way back in, continue with the normal noise that will be made when
you go to fasten the butt bar/chain and then ask him to back out and praise
him.  Ask him to go back in as he has hundreds of times already and repeat
until you are sure he is OK with the normal commotion (sound and motion) that
is normal for trailering.  Don't close him up until you are sure he won't
panic.

This doesn't completely explain the methods as well as watching his tapes or
reading his books.  He has done a whole series in his Perfect Horse magazine
also.  I am only trying to get you interested in a way that is successful
even if it takes a little longer.  I've seen all kinds of methods from
winching to butt ropes to whacking with a broom but even if you manage to get
the horse in uninjured (unlikely) then all you've got is a very scared wreck
of an animal in there who will hurt himself eventually and probably will come
flying back out in a hurry when finally released.  This will get horses and
people injured also.

Using treats/hay/grain in the trailer is actually a distraction to getting
the horse obedient to a cue.  Distractions can be anything from another horse
walking by as you teach your horse to load or a dog barking, etc.  You would
want to minimize the number of distractions when teaching something new
(i.e., don't start teaching at feeding time when all the others are eating
and your poor horse can't concentrate).  Some distractions are unavoidable
and are a gauge as to whether your horse is learning (and focusing) such as
performing what you ask as someone walks another horse by.  If you keep
asking in the same manner, as though the distraction didn't exist, and the
horse performs then you know the horse is focusing.  But when you have food
in the trailer you can't be sure the horse is responding to your cue or his
gluttony.  Often you get a horse who overcomes his fear for the moment it
takes to get into the trailer and once he has a bite panics because of his
surroundings and comes flying out.  What if you are riding with a friend who
doesn't put feed in the trailer?  Or if your horse is colicking and you need
to get him to vet hospital and vet advises no food?  The best reason is that
leaving food out of the equation means the horse is responding to your "go
forward" cue.  This also pertains to having another horse loaded in the
trailer.  Is the horse loading because of being buddy sour?  What will happen
when no other horse is available to baby-sit?

The main gist of what you are teaching is that the horse will load into any
kind of trailer even if you haven't practiced with that kind before such as
slant, straight, stock, step-up or ramp.  He is loading because you are
asking him to do something he knows how to do and is comfortable about it.
You haven't made life so unpleasant outside of the trailer that he is willing
to get in just to get away from constant tapping.  He has learned a cue.  You
can even practice having the horse step onto a piece of tarp (with the edges
held down with weights) which is a great beginning to teaching to load.
This, of course, carries over to stepping into a wash rack or grooming stall.
 The best thing is that you have taught your horse how to learn and get the
right answer.  You will have a horse that leads better, loads and unloads
calmly (despite distractions) and should travel well.

Sorry this reads like a book but I wanted to make sure I explained as well as
I can the "how" and "why" of JL method for loading.  I am NOT affiliated with
JL in any way and you must realize that I don't begin to fully explain his
methods.  I highly recommend getting his tapes, books or magazine.  If you
have a certified JL trainer in your area then I would recommend looking
him/her up.  I am lucky to have a *really* good JL trainer near me (Jean
Franzmeier in N. Phoenix) and so have access to her lessons, seminars and
clinics.

Good luck and always be safe!

Melanie in AZ