Horse Abuse

I read with interest the story about the TWH 'trainers' and the scene that Christian Love observed at the barn she worked at.  I was an Executive Director and Cruelty Investigator for a large Humane Society for 4 years.  I just left there in May of this year.  I worked on many cases of abuse - mostly neglect to the point of starvation.  In one case we found one horse dead (frozen to the ground) of starvation and one down and dying (we euthanized) one died the next day, and one recovered.  The amazing thing was, there were three FAT horses in the barn also, and enough hay for a herd, and grain just 50 feet from the starved horses!! Needless to say, we got a conviction.  At one point we were housing 18 horses in three different cases - all were convicted.  I also arrrested a puppy mill owner and took in 143 dogs - whew!!!!  It took a year, but she was convicted also.

The one case that involved the beating of a National Show Horse at the hands of a father/son 'training' team, was thrown out of court when the defendant's 'friends' totally discredited the witnesses.  These three brave women put themselves on the line by making the complaint and going through with the whole deal, and then it was dismissed for lack of evidence before the prosecution could present their case.  Very upsetting, as I have no doubt the witnesses where telling the truth.  The good news is, the trainers went out of business soon after.

I can not stress enough, that if you witness abuse, you need to take it to someone who will do something about it.  Granted, all Humane Societies, or SPCAs are not very proactive, but now there are agencies on the national level to help.  I often got calls from the Hooved Animal Rescue, and Farm Sanctuary, and others, who were interested in our cases, and would have helped had we needed it.  I can provide contacts to help in these situations also.  We all need to stand up for the animals in a sane and organized way, utilizing the law to the fullest.

Laura Hayes - Western New York State