Re: Keeping horse on the bit

>As Sue suggested, look at the horse's shape, the muscular development of
>the top line, and you'll get some idea how the horse travels habitually
>either through training or lack of it.  My mare used to have the typical
>"upside down" shaped neck and was the high headed, pull on your hands
>and look like I'm on the bit-type.  Now she's physically and mentally
>able to move longer and lower, although her body type will never really
>allow her to be comfortable at even moderate levels of collection.

A little postscript on previous comments -- and some thoughts on the neck
development...

When you start conditioning a horse that has been travelling all strung out
on the forehand or been leaning on the reins, side reins, or a running
martingale (or pulling a cart), you have a horse that is going to now
*favor* going that way, both out of habit and out of muscular development.
When you start conditioning (purposefully exercising) the topline of the
neck, he will tire fairly quickly since that set of muscles is not very
strong, especially to do the work that you are asking.  Work him for a few
minutes but then go to something that will let him relax WITHOUT exercising
that bottom neck muscle.  Lungeing with balancing reins (aka German sliding
reins) works well since it doesn't lock his head into a position, he can't
lean on the bit, and he will learn to find his own balance.  Just remember
to keep the sessions short with frequent stretch breaks while he's learning
to use the up side of his body.

As the muscles on the topline improve in strength and stamina, the work
sessions can increase in time.  At some point you'll cross over the line
where the topside muscles of the neck will be the favored ones because they
will be the stronger than the muscles of the underneck area...and the
underneck muscles will not be used as often.  When a horse starts to tire,
they naturally default to the stronger muscles...and you want that to be
the topside group! ;-)  Once that happens, your job becomes a lot easier.
They will use the muscles more spontaneously, strengthening them
further...and the underside muscles will gradually diminish.  AS LONG AS
you keep riding correctly, the horse will continue to improve.

Think of it in the sense of trying to ride correctly as much as humanly
possible...and this doesn't mean all tense and rigid and fretting about
stuff.  Be as relaxed as possible but periodically check your own position
and your cues.  Are you sending the right messages or have you slacked off
so much so that the horse is once again all strung out?  What you do with
your body determines what the horse does with his! ;-)  As he develops the
abilities to round and carry himself well, you will also improve in your
own riding.

We have a Standardbred in our barn (off the track) that I have been working
with over the last year.  She has improved tremendously since she has
started to use her topline and back.  She also didn't bend well or give at
the jaw very well either.  (Not much call for it while pulling the cart.
<g>)  In a years time, she's improved her walk stride incredibly and she's
starting to bend around corners and relax in her jaw.  She can now be "on
the bit" in a halter style side-pull out on the trail...working those
haunches and topline.  She'll never be "breathtaking" in her collection
because of her confirmation, but she will move better, use her body parts
more skillfully and efficiently (and last longer <g>), and be much more
pleasant and comfortable to ride.

Sue

sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm