Re: RC: Breeding theories (was *Muscat)

I see this in the stallions I have bred to- two of the stallions I have
used  (IAS Alydar and Khalarado) produce themselves, with minor
variations depending on the mare, usually in the head. CR Silver Monarch
produced, on three matings that I used him for, a filly that looks just
like a bay version of her mother but more heavily built, and two colts
(one a full sibling) both of whom are very tall and elegant and look like
him mostly. Again, the head came through. The filly got her mother's
flaws, and the colt didn't.
Alpha Sharade uniformly produces similar back ends, but the front ends
really look like their mothers- which in my case was just fine- since the
dams were all beautifully built. The horses are just well ptu together,
period, but you would never figure out they were siblings unless I told
you. It all depends on your stock. The best advice would be to know your
horses- and their pedigrees- and know what you're likely to get with any
given type. It's easy with the first two- they produce themselves... The
other two, well, they fixed major flaws ( one reason I used Silver
Monarch was because he put HIS legs on his get) but you got a good blend
of mom and dad.
As far as pedigree goes, well, Aly is totally outcrossed, Khalarado
isn't, Silver MOnarch really isn't, and Alph had a lot of Raseyn
linebreeding in him.. the dams were all very good as well...
JMHO.
Gwen