RE: dressage and keeping horse "on the bit"

Your trail work should be the opportunity for the horse to relax and BE A
HORSE while under saddle. I would suggest riding part of the time with out
the reins. Drop them and ride with out any contact. Not only does this let
the horse relax but it gives you to chance to get more balanced in your
riding. Do this at all gaits especially the trot. While riding in this
manner do some exercises like "windmilling" with your arms. Hands over the
head. Both hands behind the back etc.

The horse will appreciate this.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises