Re: loading problem

Nancy,
I have taught several horses to load on a trailer. Two of them took over
three hours the first time, but now they will all get right on.
Sometimes they want to sniff the floor first, but that's ok.
How I learned what to do was with the John Lyons video "leading and
it five or six times, enough to get it clear in your mind. Then be
prepared to take all day. It's more of a leading problem than anything
else, even if your horse seems to lead fine everywhere else. Your horse
will try every avoidance trick he can think of. Be satisfied with a
little forward movement at a time. Be patient. If you feel yourself
losing patience, take a break and come back in ten minutes. eventually
you will succeed. Like John Lyons says, the horse will get good, then
bad, then better, then really bad, then really good.
The first horse I taught to load had once cut her face on a trailer, so
had very bad memories. It took me three hours and a half to get her on
the first time. Then fifteen minutes two or three times, then she began
getting on. When she would stand on the trailer with the door open until
I asked her to get down, I quit. After that she was easy to load. I only
had one time away, the first time I trailered her away from home, that
it took fifteen minutes to get her on. Since that time I have taught
several more horses to load. Only one other, a gelding I bought, took
almost three hours to load the first time, but by the time he got on he
was "chewing" submissively as he got on. He is no problem to load any
more. Most of them I have to be sure I step aside as we approach the
trailer and get out of their way. I hope you have good success using
this method. THere are other methods that work. This one worked for me.
Lucie H. from SC