mentors

Lynne,

Here in the Pacifice Northwest region we have started a mentor program, somewhat independent of PNER (Pacific Northwest Endurance Ride).  Because the mentoring effort is not yet authorized by PNER (perhaps we will undertake responsibility for it at the next convention) there are no funds nor is there "official" standing for the mentors.  We simply responded postively when the membership coordinator, a volunteer, asked a number of us if we would be willing to help other riders who have questions.  Fortunately, we aren't given an exam to ensure that we know all the answers.  Our role is to help the questioner find the person or source with the answer.  The organizer for the mentors used his own money to purchase flags we can fly:  "Ask Me   PNER"

The idea came from AERC as I understand it.  What I had envisioned were rider representatives, elected by the membership in our region, serving this function.  However, rider representatives are elected to serve on the board of directors.  We don't have other responsibilities or expectations identified in the bylaws.

Hence, the need or interest in another group of members to be "mentors."  Of course one can play any other role, from ride manager to president of the organization to LD rider, while volunteering as a mentor.

The ride manager complaining about collecting AERC non-member fees does have a good idea:  A brochure from AERC to potential members.  Mentors could distribute these.

Eventually there probably ought to be guidelines for mentors so that liability issues are anticipated and countered.  It is difficult to have an activity within an organization, but outside it's purview.

janetb