QH, Haflingers

  OOps, I keep hitting those wrong buttons on the computer and sending
noyhing to people, sorry.
  Anyways,I wanted to comment on Haflingers in endurance.  I have a friend
who brought her Haflinger/half Arab with her when she moved here from
Germany.  He looks nothing like an endurance horse.  He's big 15.3h, with
large muscling and huge bone.  He took 2-3years to acclimate to our humid
climate in the midwest.  He has also done great in endurance.  100milers are
his best, but he also does well on 50s.  He is conditioned well and can
handle any terrain.
  He was one of the 20 horses who finished at the Cosequin ride last year in
very hot, humid conditions.  I rode with her all the way.  In the middle of
the afternoon my horse could get his pulse down first, but as the day wore
on he was able to come down as quickly as I. Sure we were not trying to win
the thing, just finish, but many, many did not.  It was a real test of the
toughest horses.  The horse has done the ROC also.  He would have been at
the PAC for Germany, but my friend had a new baby and just couldn't quite
ride that far yet or get Gero conditioned fully.
  As to QH, I started this game with a 7/8 thoroughbred QH.  We did quite
well over the years.  The main drawback for me was that I took 20 gals of
H2O to bring my horses pulse down.  I don't need that volume with the Arabs.
  I know one reason I bought the horse I ride now is that he is similar in
build and character to that QH only better.
Roberta Harms